There is this chocolate shop in Montreal called Suite 88 that makes the most decadent hot chocolates ever! They are essentially made with full fat cream and a melted chocolate bar and boy is it ever a treat! The thing is, I believe that treats should and can easily be both yummy and healthy. I have thus created a healthy hot chocolate which mimics the richness of heavy cream. Coconut milk is a wonderful dairy free substitute and works wonders to make hot chocolate nice and creamy. If you use the coconut cream (thick layer) from a can of coconut milk you can make the most delicious whipped cream to accompany your chocolatey drink. So bundle up with blankets, a movie and this hot chocolate recipe to kick start your holiday season!
DAIRY FREE PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOLATE
HOT CHOCOLATE INGREDIENTS:
✿1 cup coconut milk
✿1 cup almond milk
✿5 tsp raw cacao powder
✿1.5 tbsp melted cacao butter
✿1/2 tsp vanilla extract
✿2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
✿12 drops NuNatural liquid stevia (or 1-2 tbsp of raw honey..start with less and add until desired sweetness)
**Note: NuNatural liquid stevia is the only stevia product I have found that does not have an aftertaste!
HOT CHOCOLATE INSTRUCTIONS:
1) In a medium size pot warm the coconut and almond milk on medium heat.
2) After a few minutes stir in the cacao, cacao butter, vanilla, peppermint and sweetener of choice.
3) Continue to stir until all the ingredients have melted together.
4) Once the milk is hot, pour into two mugs and top with the coconut whipped cream recipe below.
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
✿ Coconut Cream from one can (read below...refrigerate can overnight)
✿ 15 drops of NuNatural liquid stevia (or 1-2 tbsp raw honey,agave or maple syrup)
✿ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Place a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
2) When you are ready to make the whipped cream, remove the coconut milk from the fridge and open the can.
3) The coconut cream will have separated from the liquid and will make up the top layer of the can. Scoop all of this cream into a medium size bowl.
4) Add the sweetener of choice and the vanilla.
5) Use a handheld electric mixture to fluff up/ whip the coconut cream together (this should only take about a minute).
6) Top your hot chocolate (or if you are me, eat it by the spoonful!).
One of my favourite Christmas movies!
Have a wonderful day!