Thursday, November 8, 2012

YUMMY GROUND CHERRY SALSA

I have made a new discovery! If you haven't tried ground cherries go get some right now! They are so delicious. They grow similar to a tomato and are actually part of the nightshade family. It's scientific name is Physalis. There are edible and non edible varieties, the ground cherry/gooseberry being one of the most common and others being the tomatillo and the chinese lantern. I made a salsa, others I have seen have made jams/jellies with it because it apparently has a high pectin content. 

On another note...I bought this book (Healing with Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford) a few weeks ago and am working my way through it. It is the most comprehensive and well rounded book I have ever seen in terms of holistic nutrition. I would highly recommend it!
                                                           

GROUND CHERRY SALSA

 Ingredients:
-1/2 cup ground cherries
-1/2 cup cucumber
-1/4 cup cilantro
-olive oil
-sea salt

Instructions:
1) Remove the ground cherries from their outer wrappers. 
2) Chop the ground cherries in half with a serrated knife.
3) Chop the cucumber and cilantro into very small pieces.
4) Mix the ground cherries,cucumber and cilantro in a small bowl.
5) Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch or two of sea salt (to taste).
6) Serve as you like! (I did it over fish)
 Enjoy your evening!
Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...