Thought the only thing you could make with chickpeas was hummus? Think again! This my friends is a recipe that looks super tricky but in fact is really quite simple! Khandvi is an Indian snack made out of chickpea flour which means it is gluten and grain free! If you are also dairy free then you can try using a soy or coconut based yogurt.
Khandvi (Chickpea Rolls)
Inspired by Vegan Richa blog.
Serves 2 (for a meal)
-1/2 cup chickpea flour
-5 tbsp whole organic yogurt
-1 cup water
-1/2 tsp turmeric
-1/4 tsp cayenne powder
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1 clove garlic
-1 tbsp coconut oil
-2 cups baby spinach
-1/2 cup parsley
*optional: olive oil,mustard seed,cumin,coriander
2) Prepare a sheet of tinfoil (about the length of a cookie tray) on a countertop or table.
3) In a medium size pot, heat the coconut oil for about 1 minute on medium/high heat.
4) Pour the chickpea mixture into the pot and begin stirring right away. Continue stirring vigorously for about 4-5 minutes. The mixture should begin to thicken. *Make sure you keep stirring the 4-5 minutes and don't take it off too early..the mixture needs to cook in order to cool properly!
5) Once the mixture is thickened (it should be like a heavy batter) pour it onto the sheet of tinfoil.
6) Spread the mixture thinly and evenly over the tinfoil sheet using a spatula...or if you are me a metal pie serving spatula because it works so well (about 1/2 cm thick).
7) Wait 15 minutes to allow the mixture to cool.
8) While you are waiting place the spinach and parsley in a high power blender or food processor and pulse until shredded and combined. Transfer this mixture to a small bowl.
9) When the chickpea sheet has completely cooled cut the sheet into long thin rectangles using the dull edge of a butter knife(you can choose the size...I cut the sheet in half and then into twelve strips)
10) Place a small amount of the spinach mixture onto the edge of one rectangular piece of chickpea sheet. Dip your hands in a little bit of oil so it will be easier to lift the edges of the roll. Gently lift the edge and begin to roll the chickpea sheet all the way up. *It should be fragile but roll fairly easily if done with care.
11) Continue step 9 until all of the strips are rolled.
12) Try popping some mustard seeds in a heated pan with olive oil and adding a pinch of cumin and coriander. Pour the mixture over the rolls before serving.
12) Voila! The most amazing chickpea creation :)
HAVE A FABULOUS DAY!