Tuesday, November 20, 2012

QUICK AND EASY SUNBUTTER RECIPE

I hate buying nut butters at the store because they are so darn expensive! I hate it because I love nut butter so much and thus wind up spending ridiculous amounts of moola. To attempt to avoid such wallet emptying purchases I decided to figure out which nut butter would be cheaper to make. With the help of Simon's handy dandy brain of logic we figured out that making sunflower seed butter at home would be the best money saver. A lot of recipes tell you to buy raw sunflower seeds and then toast them, let them cool and finally blend them. Honestly, I go through so much nut butter that doing all of that would be very time consuming and such a pain. The alternative of course, is to just add a little bit of oil (olive,flax,sunflower etc will all work...coconut will not). The great thing about making your own is you can add all sorts of yummy additions to your butter and give it a personal touch. I like cinnamon...dried fruit and chocolate are next on the list. 

QUICK AND EASY SUNBUTTER
(Makes 1 small jar)
INGREDIENTS:
-1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds (unsalted, raw or toasted)
-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
*any extra spices or flavours you want to add (I like about 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1) In a food processor or high powered blender pulse the sunflower seeds until powdered.
2) Add the olive oil one tbsp at a time and continue to pulse on low.
3) Once all of the olive oil has been added turn the blender or food processor on low and allow it to run for about 3 minutes. The nut butter should become very smooth and creamy.
4) Scoop the sunbutter into a jar and add any additional ingredients to taste.
5) Store in the fridge. 

So where will all that nut butter savings wind up? It will be invested in my goji berry,maca, chia and hemp purchases of course (superfoods are worth it!). 

LOVE,
MALAKAI

5 comments:

  1. What about avocado or sunflower seed oil? Have you tried it with those? Does the EVOO give it a strong EVOO taste?
    I'm so excited to find your blog! I am working around many many MANY food intolerances, also. And your header is hilarious. We should be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this and WOW!!! The EVOO is not strong at all! I added honey and WHOA. Delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it with those yet, but I would imagine they would be good! I have not found the olive oil particularly strong however you can definitely taste it a little. I'm excited to have you reading my blog! I am happy to be friends with others who are dealing with food intolerances like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can sun butter be frozen ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't personally tried to freeze it, I think it would be possible yes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...