Wednesday, November 21, 2012

ALMOND FLOUR CRACKERS

Almond Flour Crackers
I love my almonds. I usually eat a lot of them. Usually we buy our almonds at Costco because they are super cheap but for the last two weeks we have been out of almonds and without realizing it my daily almond consumption dropped to zero. How I did not realize that we were out of almonds I have no idea....perhaps all the school material I'm trying to stuff into my brain at the moment is taking up the space usually allocated to thinking about almonds. Anywho, I finally bought almonds and am milking away once again. The thing is, I never really know what to do with the almond pulp after making almond milk. Usually I dehydrate it, blend it into a flour and store it for later use (what to use it for is the tricky part). I love making dehydrated crackers but until this week had never ever baked crackers before! Well, now I have and this is what I came up with. Super easy, super yum.
BAKED ALMOND FLOUR CRACKERS
(Makes 15)
Almond Flour Crackers with Hazelnut Pesto
INGREDIENTS:
Almond Flour Crackers with Hazelnut Pesto-1 cup almond flour (or almond pulp from milking almonds)
-2 tbsp ground flax
-pinch of sea salt
-1 tsp dried thyme
-1 egg
-1 tbsp olive oil
INSTRUCTIONS:
*Preheat the oven to 350
Almond Flour Crackers before baking
1) In a medium size bowl mix together almond flour, flax,salt and thyme. If you are using left over almond pulp make sure that it is as dry as possible (I put mine in the dehydrator and the reblend it into a fine flour, but you can simply ring out as much liquid as possible).
2) In a separate bowl combine the egg and oil and whisk until combined.
3) Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir together with a wooden spoon. The mixture should form into a dough.
4) Place the dough in the center of a piece of parchment paper (about the size of a piece of printer paper). Take an equally sized piece of parchment and put it on top of the dough. 
5) Using a rolling pin, roll the dough so that it is evenly spread in a rectangle. 
6) Remove the top piece of parchment paper and score the dough with a dull knife. I cut it into 15 squares. 
7) Place the parchment sheet onto a cookie tray in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. 
8) Remove from the oven and wait 30 minutes to allow the crackers to cool.
9) Serve with your favourite spread (I used hazelnut pesto and will post that recipe soon)!

Enjoy!!!
LOVE
MALAKAI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...