YAY FOR FRESH VEGGIES! I really appreciate the markets in the summertime considering that in the winter there is such a lack of fresh and local produce around. As I have posted before I am attempting to grow some of my own yummies on my balcony and my tomatoes have been quite the success. There are tons of markets around...check here to find on closest to you (in Canada)! When I go to the market I often am faced with the question: Do I buy local or organic? I have come up with a system:MALAKAI'S LOCAL OR ORGANIC SYSTEM FOR THE MARKET
1) Buy Local and Organic!
2) Buy Local pesticide/herbicide free
3) Buy Local for everything except the dirty dozen which I buy Organic
*It is important to remember that a lot of small farms can not afford to be certified organic..so you really just need to become buddies with the people at the market and ask them how their farm works and where they get their goods.
SO GET YOURSELF TO THE MARKET!
MAKE SOME OF THESE YUMMY SUMMER RECIPES:
FRESH VEGGIE SALAD
(Adapted from the Raw Gourmet Cookbook)
-1 cup chopped parsley
-1 cup chopped cilantro
-2 red peppers
-2 stalks of celery
-2 cups fresh corn
1) Mix all of the ingredients together and coat with the dressing below.
*Try using a bunt cake or angel food cake pan to get the kernels off your corn.
ASIAN GINGER LIME DRESSING
-2 freshly squeezed limes
-1/4 cup sesame oil
-1/4 cup water
-2 tbsp tamari
-1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
-1 tsp minced ginger
-1/4 tsp chili flakes
-2 tsp sweetener of choice
-1 tsp sea salt
-touch of pepper
1) Place all ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
BABY TOMATO SALAD
-1 cup baby tomatoes (sliced in half)
-1 clove garlic
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1 tbsp olive oil
1) Mix all ingredients together and serve.
*Preheat oven to 450.
1) Wash and de-stem your radishes and place them in a bowl. Cover them with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
2) Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place the radishes onto the baking sheet.
3) Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until soft and starting to wither a bit.
|WHAT A LOVELY SUMMER TIME MEAL!|