Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ON SOCIALIZING WITH "NORMAL PEOPLE" IN MY FOOD INTOLERANT WORLD

So if you have been reading my blog you will know that I am not the easiest person to feed. I have a list of food intolerances as long as most people's grocery lists. Now for me this is a blessing - it basically means that I can not eat anything bad for me without feeling incredibly ill. My diet is probably on the extreme end of healthy and I'm ok with that. However, when it comes to getting together with people things can get a tad complicated. What is the main thing that people do in a social setting? EAT! Seeing as I can't eat at many restaurants or even other people's homes unless I have cooked with them - you can see how it would be tricky. I used to have a rule for myself that went something like this: When I am at home I will eat my kind of food but when I am on someone else's turf I will eat whatever they are eating. This rule at first seemed logical because of course when you are a guest at someone's house or dinner table you do what you can to not be rude or high maintenance. I used this rule for thumb for several years that is until I wasn't able to use the rule of thumb any more because I was on other people's turfs a lot of the time and was getting sick. 
HERE ARE MY NEW RULES:
1) ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE DINNER PARTIES AT MY PLACE!
2) WHEN FEEDING OTHER PEOPLE TRY NOT TO MAKE IT TOO WEIRD AND MAKE SOME THINGS FOR THEM THAT THEY WILL LIKE (STILL HEALTHY OF COURSE) BUT YOU CAN'T EAT. 
3) STAY AWAY FROM RESTAURANTS - TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY.
4) IF GOING OVER TO SOMEONE'S HOUSE FOR DINNER OFFER TO BRING PART OF THE ENTREE...THAT WAY THERE IS SOMETHING I CAN EAT.
5) STOP THINKING THAT BEING HIGH MAINTENANCE IS RUDE...PEOPLE FEED VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS SPECIAL THINGS ALL THE TIME.
6) BE OPEN WITH OTHERS ABOUT MY FOOD INTOLERANCES AND FOOD CHOICES. SOMETIMES THEY ARE INTERESTED....AND MAKE CHANGES IN THEIR OWN LIVING.

So...here is an example of a recipe I might make for "normal" people. It is NOT GLUTEN OR DAIRY FREE!!!!! Please make note. But it still uses flours, milks and sweeteners that people may not be used to and are better for your health. 
BLUEBERRY SPELT SCONES
Ingredients:
-3 cups spelt flour
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-6 tbsp organic butter (please buy organic butter..it comes from happy cows).
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-1 cup almond milk (please make your own!)
-1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup 
-1 cup frozen blueberries
Instructions:
1) In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and sea salt. 
2) Cut up the butter into small pieces adding it to the flour and begin cutting it in with two knives. Cut the butter into the flour until the butter is in very small pieces (about the size of a pea). 
3) Add the lemon juice, almond milk and sweetener of choice to the flour mixture and mix lightly.
4) Coat your hands in flour and gently mix in the blueberries with your hands. Form the dough into a ball (you may need to add a little bit more flour for this) and place it on a sheet of parchment paper on the table. 
5) Roll the dough out so that it forms a circle (about 9 inches in diameter)
6) Cut the circle into 8 equal triangles, like you would cut a pie. 
7) Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and using a spatula carefully remove each triangle from the circle placing it onto the tray.
8) Place the cookie sheet in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes.
9) Allow to cool and consume (or allow others to consume...if you are like me)
TURN THIS ON WHILE YOU ARE A COOKIN'
I hope that you all have a beautiful evening!
With loads of love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...