Friday, July 13, 2012

NACH-YOUR TYPICAL NACHOS

When you can't eat gluten or dairy or sugar or yeast crunchy snacks can become rather difficult to find or make. When I was little one of my favourite things was nacho chips with melted cheese and sour creme. If I ate that now...a) I wouldn't because of all of the yuckies and b) it would make me very sick for days. That being said, I have missed nachos and was so happy when I found a recipe for dehydrated ones. My little sister Mary told me several years ago while we were at the ceramic cafe that she wanted to paint a nacho plate that said "NACH-YOUR CHEESE"-I thought that was pretty cleaver. When she comes in August to visit I think we may just have to make that plate! These are sooo yummy and store well in the cupboard for a few weeks. I would imagine that if you don't have a dehydrator you could do them in the oven at a very low temperature. The best way Simon and I have found to make dehydrated things is to put them in right before we go to bed so that when we wake up in the morning they are finished or almost finished (the reason for the dark picture of me spreading the nachos!). 

NACH-YOUR TYPICAL NACHOS
(adapted from Crudessence)

Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups ground flax seed
-1/2 cup chopped red onion
-1 1/2 cups sundried tomatoes
-6 tbsp rosemary 
-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tbsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-pinch of cayenne
Instructions:
1) Blend all the ingredients together in a high power blender
2) Spread the mixture on aprox. 4 teflex lined dehydrator sheets or if you are trying it in the oven on parchment lined cookie sheets. They should be fairly thinly spread. Cut the mixture into triangles using a pizza cutter. You can do this by cutting long strips and then cutting diagonals through the strips. 
3) Dehydrate at 105 for 8 hours and then flip the nachos onto the regular mesh dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for another 8 hours. If you are trying it in the oven I would imagine that at 200 degrees you would put the tray in for 4 hours or until the spread is able to peel easily off so you can flip the parchment paper and dehydrate on the other side for another 4 hours. 
4) You want them to be crispy so if they need to stay in a little longer than I have said that's ok! 
5) Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place. 
****Serve with homemade salsa or guacamole or any other dip!
Have a great start to the weekend!
Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...