Ok let's talk dessert! I have been deprived of dessert until yesterday when I found a sugar like product that I can actually eat! It's called Xylitol and is found in toothpaste and plums among other things but is not sugar! So I whipped these peppermint treats with almost all the super foods in my cupboard and they taste just like peppermint patties! Needless to say I am oh so very pleased with myself. Check out the green colour of the mint... isn't that just great! I tried this before and used spirulina (a seaweed powder) to try to make the filling green and it just didn't work. But matcha powder (green tea) worked miracles.
FUN FACTS ABOUT MATCHA POWDER
-Monks used to drink Matcha to stay alert yet calm. This has been proven by Matcha's L- Theanine content which is an amino acid that promotes relaxation.
-High chlorophyl levels give Matcha its green colour
-Matcha is ground green tea leaf (using the whole leaf and not filtered)
-1 cup of Matcha drink is equivalent to 10 cups of green tea in terms of nutritional value.
-Contains 20X more anti-oxidants than pomegranates and blueberries.
-Contains the antioxidant EGC which has powerful cancer fighting properties.
SUPER FOOD PEPPERMINT PATTIE:
(Recipe from Meghan Telpner: Making Love in the Kitchen)
-1/3 cup raw cacao
-1 tsp maca powder
-3 tbsp cacao butter
-3 tbsp coconut oil
-1 tbsp raw honey, sucanat, agave or xylitol
-3 tbsp coconut oil
-3 tbsp ground dried unsweetened coconut
-1/8 tsp matcha powder
-5 drops peppermint essential oil
-2 tsp honey, agave, sucanat or xylitol
1) Create a double boiler by using a small bowl over a pot of boiling water. Mix chocolate ingredients together in the bowl until completely melted and dissolved.
2) Line a muffin tray with 9 large muffin cups and scoop about 1 tbsp of the chocolate mixture into each cup so that it covers the bottom. Place the tray in the freezer to harden for about 5 min.
3) In the mean time make the filling by mixing all the filling ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
4) Take the muffin tray out of the freezer and scoop a small amount of the filling into the center of each chocolate. Place the tray back in the freezer so the filling can harden for 5 min.
5) Take the muffin tray out once more and top the muffin cups with the remaining chocolate (about 1.5 tbsp each)
6) Place the tray back in the freezer for about 15 minutes before serving.
|Matcha Powder can be expensive but its worth it!|
|You can find peppermint essential oil at your health food store.|
|Maca is a Superfood filled with Calcium, Potassium, Iron and Protein!|
NOW THAT'S SOME SUPER NUTRITIOUS CHOCOLATE!