Lets talk crepes - they are yummy but difficult to pull off gluten free. You see...gluten is what holds stuff together and so when you take the gluten out of the crepe you can wind up with a mess of batter on your pan when you try to flip it. I have discovered a few tricks to making successful gluten free crepes. This variation is a savoury buckwheat crepe which is great for dinner filled with lots of veggies love.
FUN FACTS ABOUT BUCKWHEAT!
-Buckwheat is actually a fruit seed not a grain! - who knew?
-Fiber Fiber Fiber! - yes lots of fiber in our complex carbs
-Contains lots of protein :)
-Contains plenty of B vitamins
-Also known as "Kasha"
TIPS FOR MAKING GLUTEN FREE CREPES
1) Let the batter sit in the fridge for as many hours as possible. This makes it taste better and makes it stick together better.
2) Get the wrist working - wrist movement is the most important part of making circular crepes.
3) Be quick. You must spread the batter around the pan quickly before it cooks.
3) Use a long flexible spatula to flip the crepes. This way you can slide it more easily under the crepe to ensure that you don't break it.
OH SO FRENCH BUCKWHEAT CREPES
-1 cup buckwheat flour
-1 1/2 cups almond milk (make your own)
-2 happy eggs
-1/2 tsp sea salt
1) Whisk the eggs and almond milk together in a bowl.
2) Slowly add the flour and salt to the mixture and continue whisking until smooth (NO CLUMPS!)
3) Place the batter in the fridge for a few hours (optimally 2-3).
4) Heat a pan with a small amount of olive oil on medium heat.
5) Scoop approximately 3 tbsp of batter onto the pan with your non writing hand while you hold the pan with you writing hand. Tilt the pan as in a circular motion as soon as the batter hits it.
6) Wait until the crepe begins to bubble on the surface and then flip. Allow the crepe to cook on the other side and then remove and start all over again!
7) Fill your crepes with whatever your heart fancies! (See below for suggestion.
-2 cups baby spinach
-1 cup chopped mushrooms
-2 small onions diced
-1 clove garlic pressed
1) In a pan on medium heat with a little olive oil sautee the onions and garlic until the onions become translucent.
2) Add the mushrooms and cook with the onion mix until tender.
3) Add the baby spinach turn the heat off and cover so that the spinach absorbs the heat and wilts.
4) Fill your crepes!!!
HAPPY THURSDAY! ENJOY,