Thursday, June 21, 2012

ARE YOU AS COOL AS A CUCUMBER?

HOLY MOLY I wish I was cool as a cucumber right now. It is hot hot hot outside! I guess this means that summer is officially in full swing.When it is this hot outside then I refuse to turn on the oven...why would I add heat to the apartment? The other day when it was equally hot outside I came up with this snack for a picnic with Simon. They are chicken salad stuffed cucumbers and are super portable and delicious. If you have been reading my blog then you know that I like to stuff everything from tomatoes to peppers. So in making this recipe all I was thinking is that I wanted to be as cool as a cucumber and this seemed to do the trick. The chicken is of course from a happy chicken which Simon cooked up for me earlier this week and the mayo is raw/vegan because....well....I don't even want to think about the crap that they put in store bought mayo. So the one I concocted is made out of macadamia nuts but tastes just the same!!!


FUN FACTS ABOUT MACADAMIA NUTS:
-Native to the Rainforests of Australia
-Contain lots of monounsaturated fats (good fats) which contain oleic fatty acids also found in fish oils. Oleic acid has been shown to lower cholesterol.
-Rich in protein and contains all essential amino acids
-Source of dietary fiber
-Contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals (from potassium to B vitamins)


CHICKEN SALAD STUFFED CUCUMBERS
Ingredients:
-3 cucumbers
-1 cup chicken breast pieces
-1/2 cup raw mayo (see below)
-1 stalk chopped celery
Instructions: 
1) Peel cucumbers.
2) Slice cucumbers in half and scoop out the insides with a knife (keep them and use them for juice, smoothies or salads)
3) Mix the chicken with 1/2 cup of the ray mayo and the cut up celery.
4) Stuff each cucumber with the chicken mixture.
5) Enjoy!

Raw Mayo Ingredients:
-1/2 cup water
-1 cup soaked macadamia nuts
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tsp italian spice
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-pinch of cayenne 
Mayo Instructions:
1) Soak the macadamia nuts for 2-3 hours.
2) Place all ingredients in a high power blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3) Transfer to a bowl and voila raw mayo (this can be used on burgers, as a dip ...let your imagination go wild)

ARE YOU AS COOL AS A CUCUMBER TODAY?
Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...