Thursday, May 3, 2012

FRUIT ROLL UPS - THE REAL DEAL!


Growing up I was always the kid who would attempt to trade her apple for another kid's fruit roll up at lunch time. This strategy failed me every time and yet I kept trying. Little did I know that my parents were very very smart not to pack me a "fruit" roll up every day and opt instead for real fruit. Despite my having this knowledge that apples are so obviously better for my health than fruit roll ups - to this day I have a craving for that mystery treat all the other kids got that I didn't. Simon and I have been experimenting with different fruit leathers the last few months and have come up with quite a few that I would suggest are 100% better than their faux fruit counterparts. These new fruit creations almost make me want to make one of those commercials where they compare this new paper towel to the no name brand paper towel - obviously my fruit roll ups would be the new and improved version! But for now I only have ingredient lists to compare:

FRUIT BY THE FOOT - A WHOPPING 18 INGREDIENTS...
but its gluten free and low in fat.....so that must mean its healthy??????

















AND MALAKAI'S VERSION.......A TOTAL OF 3 INGREDIENTS......
and guess what! It's obviously gluten free and obviously fat free (unless you count the negligible amount that comes from the bananas), and it doesn't have any ingredients that you don't understand. I win once again!


BANANA PAPAYA FRUIT ROLL UP
Ingredients:
-2 bananas
-1/2 a papaya seeded and scooped
-a little bit of water (1/4 cup)

Instructions:
1) Put all ingredients in a high power blender or food processor with a little bit of water and blend until completely mixed.
2) Spread the mixture onto a teflex lined dehydrator tray or an aluminum foil lined cookie tray. With a spoon distribute the mixture thinly in a circle (or square, or rectangle).
3) Dehydrate at 115 for approximately 8 hours or bake at 250 for half an hour and then turn the oven off and leave the tray in the oven for 8 hours (overnight).
4) After the 8 hours is up gently peel the fruit leather off of the sheet / pan and flip them over. Return to dehydrator / oven (preheated first and then turned off) for another hour.
5) Cut into thin strips and roll.
6) Refrigerate and serve.

Love,
Malakai

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...