Oh how I love the start of summer. Simon and I planted our balcony garden, veggies are in abundance at the market, weekend bike rides and picnics are happening and I get to create all sorts of yummy summer salads. Salads with Simon will be coming soon but I thought I would kick things off with a very easy to prepare Indian inspired carrot salad which I adapted from the Crudessence cookbook (yes this cookbook is my new best friend). So get happy about summer! Turn on the tunes and make a salad. If you are feeling super summer fresh like me you can eat your salad with a big glass of green juice!
MALAKAI'S WHY YOU SHOULD EAT SALAD LIST!
1) Homemade salads are super duper good for you and help you to be the best you you can possibly be! Nutrient Dense Food = Good Food.
2) Salads are versatile, you don't need a recipe to make a salad you can just look in your fridge and throw a bunch of fruits, veggies and nuts together...add a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil and voila!
3) On the run...salads are your friend. You can make them in a jiffy and bring them with you in a tupperware. *Just remember a fork!
4) Fiber Fiber Fiber....increasing your intake of fresh veggies will give you lots of fiber goodness. Fiber is good for lowering cholesterol and keeping you regular.
5) Salads can be a meal! Despite popular belief a good salad can be a very filling and satisfying meal.
SIMON'S WHY YOU SHOULD EAT SALAD LIST!
1) You need food to live. Salad is food.
***Beware of processed salad dressings...you do not need them! Do not use them! Use oils that contain healthy fats instead - like cold pressed olive oil, flax oil, coconut oil etc.
***Try to by local and organic vegetables when you can. It's good for your body and it's good for your community.
***Opt for nuts and seeds on your salads instead of lots of meats and fish (if you do use meat and fish make sure they are good quality).
***Often ordering a salad as a healthier choice at a restaurant or fast food chain is not actually a great choice. Look at the dressing used and what kind of lettuce (is it just iceberg) and other ingredients which are included.
CURRIED CARROT SALAD
(adapted from the Crudessence Cookbook)
-6 grated carrots
-1/2 a cauliflower
-1/2 an onion
-3/4 cup chopped coriander
-1/2 cup raisins
-3 tbsp sesame seeds
-1/4 cup tahini
-2 tbsp flax oil
-2 tbsp water
-1 tbsp sea salt
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tsp turmeric
-1 tbsp dried coriander
-1 tsp cumin
-2 tbsp curry powder
-1/2 tsp ground ginger
-1/2 tsp ground pepper
1) Mix all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
2) Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
3) Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly.
MY GO TO SUMMER SONG...Walking on Sunshine: Katrina and the Waves