Sunday, May 6, 2012

CHIPS AND DIP - ZUCCHINI STYLE




I am a huge sucker for crunchy things and have experimented making a variety of veggie chips that have never seemed to be as good as I anticipate. These zucchini chips however far surpassed my expectations and are yum yum yummy. I must tell you of my adventure cutting up the zucchini while preparing this recipe. I have recently started using a mandolin to slice veggies really thinly and so far have not been very pleased with any of the cutting it has done. As you can probably tell by the picture the mandolin sliced off the wrong thing yesterday and a large chunk of my middle finger came off. This is to say be careful when prepping in the kitchen. Always have a first aid kit on hand (which I found out I did not!) - and I will not be using a mandolin any more, I will be chopping all of my veggies the old school way.

Try these! They are a great way to munch some crunchy vegetables. Zucchinis are high in folate, potassium and vitamins C and A and if you eat these chips with hummus you will reap the wonderful benefits of chickpeas too - which are a great source of protein. You can make them in a dehydrator or in the oven....and please try to be more careful that I was when cutting thinly sliced zucchini :S


ZUCCHINI CHIPS
-zucchinis
-olive oil
-sea salt
-thyme
-oregano

Instructions:
1) Cut the zucchinis into thin slices (about 1/4 inch).
2) Place zucchini slices into a bowl and mix with a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, thyme and oregano to taste (or experiment with your own spices).
3) Spread the zucchini slices on a dehydrator sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet.
4) Either dehydrate at 115 overnight or bake at 200 degrees F for 1.5 - 2 hours (flipping them half way through if you are baking them).
5) Serve with dips and enjoy!

HUMMUS
-19oz can of chickpeas
-2 cloves garlic (pressed)
-4 tbsp lemon juice
-2 heaping tbsp tahini
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 tsp sea salt
-pinch of cayenne (optional)

One Simple Instruction!
1) Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST! DON'T CHOP OFF YOUR FINGER LIKE I DID!
Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...