Wednesday, May 2, 2012

BREAD THAT WILL BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY! -GLUTEN FREE


I think bread is probably one of the best things in the whole wide world. What I have found while traveling is that bread is one of the most universal foods - in every culture there is some sort of bread and it really seems to be a community food. Life without bread in my experience is very sad (having been off gluten, off grains, off everything really in the past). I have recently gone back to being a gluten free girl and past experience tells me that there is no use trying to leave bread out of my diet - I just love it tooo much.

Let me clarify the kinds of breads that I love. I love homemade bread, bakery bread and bread that people have taken the time to make. I don't like the kinds of bread that are bagged up in the store, sliced and ready to be eaten for an entire month (that's just not normal). Bread should have only a few ingredients; flour, yeast (if using yeast),water and sometimes salt (mind you there are added ingredients of course for raisin bread or if you are making a gluten free bread for example). Traditionally that is all that is needed to make bread and all that should be used to make bread. If you take a look at the ingredients for bagged, sliced bread at the store you will find many more ingredients than this and that means that kind of bread is not really bread - its a no no bread type product. I just recently purchased a wonderful book that I've just started to get into called "Bread Matters -the state of modern bread and a definitive guide to baking your own" by Andrew Whitley. I would highly recommend this book if you want to learn more about what is wrong with the bread most people are eating in our society.

All of this being said, I want to share one of the best gluten free bread recipes that I have found. It is important not to go into making gluten free bread thinking you can replicate wheat bread and it will taste exactly the same - it won't. My suggestion is that if you are off of gluten (and even if you aren't) you keep an open mind about what this new kind of bread will taste like and I'm sure it will satisfy your bread cravings. The following bread is great because if you are like me and have tried oodles of different gluten free breads you will know that they taste like plastic - or rubber -or aren't bread at all! This one is good, I promise :)

 ALMOND FLOUR BREAD
*Adapted from Elena's Pantry

Ingredients:
-1.5 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
-3/4 cup arrowroot powder
(go to your health food store to get this)
-1/4 cup flax meal
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-4 eggs
-1 tsp raw honey, agave or maple syrup
-1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Instructions:
*Preheat oven to 350
1) Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2) Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl for 5 minutes or until very frothy.
3) Add the raw honey and apple cider vinegar to the whisked eggs and stir.
4) Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine well. (Note that it will not form a dough but rather a batter)
5) Grease a small bread pan with olive oil and pour the mixture into the pan. Place the pan in the oven for 30 -35 minutes or until a fork comes out of the center of the bread clean.
6) Cool on a drying rack. Serve!
7) Keep this bread in the fridge wrapped in a clean dish cloth in a ziploc for several days.

THIS IS GREAT TOAST BREAD!!!!

Try it out, even if you aren't gluten free I think that everyone should experiment with different flours - too much gluten is never good!

Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...