Monday, April 9, 2012

"YOU'RE SOOO GRANOLA!"


In the last few years I have been described by many friends and acquaintances as being very "granola." As usual I'm pretty out of the loop and have yet to discover what this really means. I didn't even know you could use granola as an adjective but the noun sure is yummy so I've been taking it as a compliment. Out of curiosity, this morning I looked up the definition for granola on Urban Dictionary....and this is what it said: "A tree hugging, free spirited hippie minus all the drugs"....I'm not sure that I would describe myself as such but I don't think its entirely negative so in tribute to those who have called me granola in the past namely Colin and Eric, I have created the best-est granola in the whole wide world! Its just sweet enough and is great served with fresh or dried fruit, almond milk (check in soon I'll show you how to make your own) or yogurt.

You're Sooo Granola!
3 cups whole oats (gluten free oats is off gluten)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup cashews
4 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp hemp seeds
3 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
1 banana all mushed up
5 thinly chopped apples

*If you are using the oven - preheat to 350.
1) Mix whole oats, sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
2) In a separate bowl mash the banana with a fork and add the maple syrup and vanilla. Mix until it is a smooth- ish consistency.
3) Add the banana mixture to the oats mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated.
4) Chop up the apples into very small pieces and stir them in. (If you are using an oven I would omit the apples and just add dried apples when its done - you risk them going bad if you don't dehydrate them fully).

Cooking Methods
#1: Dehydrator: spread the mixture thinly over two teflex sheet lined dehydrator trays. Put in the dehydrator at 125 degrees for about 4 hours and then turn the heat down to 115 for another 6-8 hours. Store in an air tight container or Ziploc.
#2: Oven: preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spread the mixture over a well greased cookie sheet. Cook for approximately 45-50 minutes stirring every 15-20 minutes. Let cool and store in an air tight container or Ziploc.

Now that's Soooo Granola!

Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...