Friday, April 27, 2012

SWEET POTATOE LATKES FOR A SWEET RETURN HOME


Last night I got back from a wonderful visit at Kripalu. It was a very long bus ride and when I arrived it was raining and cold - this morning it actually snowed! This weather would have put me in a very bad mood however I am a very lucky girl and went from this.........

Beautiful Kripalu
To this.......
Beautiful Home - Gerber Daisies from Simon
Gerber Daisies are my most favourite things in the whole wide world so I was very happy to come home and find the apartment so brightened up. I believe I first fell in love with gerber daisies at age 12 or so and even remember wearing one in my hair for my grade 8 graduation. Anyways...it was a very sweet return home. I learnt so so much at Kripalu that I can't possibly share it all at once so I've decided I'm going to break it down piece by piece over the next little while. One thing that came across very clearly to me when it comes to cooking and preparing healthy happy food is simplicity! The more complicated a recipe is and the harder it is to make the less likely the average person is to make it! Isn't it true!? Isn't our culture living off fast food for a reason? It's because it's easy. My challenge to everyone the other day was so slow down and spend time with their food. This would be the first step to loving your food and feeding your body. We are all busy and sometimes food preparation can feel like a daunting task. We tell ourselves we are too tired or we don't have time to make anything so we go to the cupboard and we grab some icky processed food like product. Thus I'm going to offer a few tips and tricks over the next few days that I have found helpful for those busy times because it is during those times that taking care of our bodies is most important.

TIP #1: HAVE A LIST OF SIMPLE RECIPES AT YOUR FINGER TIPS SO THAT YOU CAN WHIP SOMETHING UP IN A JIFFY! LIKE THIS ONE:

SWEET POTATOE LATKES WITH APPLE SAUCE (makes 6)

Ingredients:
-3.5 cups grated sweet potatoe
-2 eggs
-1/4 cup almond flour
-1/2 tsp tumeric
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1 tsp herbamare / sea salt
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 apple
-1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions:

Latkes:
1) Mix the sweet potatoe, eggs, almond flour, tumeric,cumin, herbamare/sea salt and olive oil in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
2) Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add a little bit of oil to the pan. Scoop a large scoop of the sweet potatoe mixture onto the pan and form with a spoon or spatula into a circular shape. Wait for 3-4 minutes until the bottom side has browned and then using a long spatula flip and let cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side.
3) Repeat step 2 until the mixture is finished.
4) Serve with sauce on a bed of baby spinach.

Sauce:
1) Cut up the apple and put it in a small pot with a little bit of water and bring it to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes until the apples are soft.
2) Pour out a little of the water and transfer the apples with a small amount of water to a blender with the cinnamon. Blend until smooth and use as topping.

Try it out, more simple recipes to come!
Love,
Malakai



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...