APPLE SWEET POTATO SOUP
I am Simon and I like Soups. It's getting warmer outside and so I have to make the switch from winter soups to spring soups. This can be challenging as most soups are hot and best consumed in the winter. I thought I would share this sweet but filling soup perfect for the new season. In my opinion bread is key when it comes to eating soup. There is nothing better than a freshly baked loaf to soak up the flavour. In the picture above is a homemade spelt bread which is super easy to make... but this is Soups with Simon and not Bread with Simon and so Malakai may show you how to make it soon. So here it is, one of my new favourites:
SIMON'S APPLE SWEET POTATO SOUP
(adapted from Sunny Anderson - Food Network)
-2 tbsp butter (or oil if off dairy)
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 tbsp dried thyme
-3 cloves garlic, crushed
-1 tsp allspice
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
-5 apples, peeled and cubed
-4 cups vegetable broth
1) Heat the butter in a large pot and then add the onion, garlic and thyme for 5 mins.
2) Add allspice, cumin and cinnamon, stir for another 5 mins.
3) Add the sweet potato and apples, stir until coated.
4) Add the vegetable broth, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
5) When soft, blend with either a blender or a hand blender.
6) Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and eat with fresh bread.
Fun Facts about Sweet Potatoes:
-botanically known as "Ipomea Batatas"
-they are not the same as yams! they have a thinner peel.
-source of betacarotine, vitamin A, iron, magnesium, potassium, fiber and much much more!
-they are yummy